The Port Melbourne Football Club held its 2017 Annual General Meeting on Sunday 3rd December at the Sandridge Events Centre.
As part of official proceedings, Life Memberships were presented to three incredibly deserving recipients: Jenny Tserkezidis, Damian James and Barry Kidd.
The extensive list of services that each of these people have provided to the Borough over a long period of time are outlined below:
• 25 seasons on Ladies Committee serving in kiosks and the merchandise booth;
• Club Photographer since 2011;
• Created two websites, ‘Save the Home of the Borough’ (2013) and ‘Save the Port Melbourne Football Club’ (2017);
• Creates and designs the PMFC Calendars fund raiser 2012 to 2017 and is preparing the 2018 calendar;
• Created 2015 player cards as a fundraiser;
• Initiated the Toby Pinwill 200 game banner;
• Provides lollies/chocolates for players on training and game days;
• Organised refurbishment of Merchandise Booth counters at no cost to the club; and tidies dressing rooms after home and away games.
Jenny has made and continues to make a substantial contribution to our club through her voluntary contribution over more than 25 years.
Damian James was a board member for ten years and when he joined the board continued the James family involvement in the club, his father Alex was President of the club for three years and also a Life Member. Damian is a lifelong supporter and attends games with the rest of the James family. His uncle Gary Brice coached the team to three premierships. During his board service Damian participated in the decision making process around the redevelopment of the dressing rooms and the new social facility; and was the licensee of The Rex for several years.
• 20 years of managing the club as General Manager;
• In his early years of service helped ensure the survival of the club through operating ‘on the smell of an oily rag’.
• Managed the club in an effective manner;
• Sourced and signed most sponsors;
• Negotiated player contracts and minimised risk of exceeding salary cap;
• Was involved in the recruitment of players;
• Through his vast network sourced suppliers, negotiated prices that were favourable to the club and managed payments;
• Successfully managed the home game days at North Port Reserve including recruiting match day staff and volunteers;
• Successfully managed the away games from our clubs perspective;
• Negotiated and worked with Port Phillip City Council to ensure that day-to-day maintenance and development works were carried out;
• Liaised with AFL Victoria regarding the club and the competition;
• Managed the VFL Finals Series on game days to ensure that the club received the maximum benefit; and
• Expand the club’s collection of historic items.
Barry Kidd has made a significant and substantial contribution to our club through his skills and organisation abilities. He has devoted himself to our club, sometimes at great personal cost.
On behalf of the Port Melbourne Football Club, we would like to take this opportunity to extend our sincere appreciation and congratulations to each of these three outstanding individuals.